Hon Thom (or Pineapple island) is a wonderful island to visit. It’s the largest and most beautiful island of Hon Thom district of An Thoi archipelago. This island is located in the south of Phu Quoc. In 2018, a new cable system is now opened. Visiting Hon Thom, Hon Dua, Hon Roi by cable car is much easier and faster. Hon Thom is not overly invaded by resorts and hotels. You can find the life of the locals is still peaceful and rustic. We’re sure you can have a great time here if you love going off the beaten track a little bit.
>>> Related Post: How to travel Phu Quoc in-depth
How to get to Hon Thom Island
Hon Thom or Pineapple Island is the main island of Hon Thom district so when you tell the locals to take you to Hon Thom, you mean to the Hon Thom island. There are two ways to get to the island: by boats/canoes or by cable car.
- The boats will depart at An Thoi port. If you are from Dong Duong town, you can catch a taxi, xe om or bus for a 23km distance to the port. If you go by motorbike, it takes about 30 minutes through Tran Hung Dao road. You can pay someone keep watch on your bike at the port. After that buy boat tickets to Hon Thom. The boat trip would take another 30 minutes to reach the island. It departs at 9:30 AM and 11:30 AM, a ticket costs 50,000VND per person. The boat from Hon Thom back to Phu Quoc departs at 13:45 PM, 14:30 PM and 17:00 PM.
- For speedboat, it takes only 15 minutes to reach Hon Thom but costs 300,000VND for one boat.
- From February 2018, an 8000 long cable car system from An Thoi can take you to Hon Thom within 15 minutes. The ticket price is 500,000VND for one adult and 350,000VND for children with height under 153cm.
What to see & do in Hon Thom Island
- Pineapple Island or Hon Thom is a place to enjoy wild nature even though its infrastructure has been developing rapidly. If you want to take great pictures, the coconut fields and the rock cliffs can provide decent backgrounds. The best thing about Hon Thom is the clean, blue beaches.
- Two of them you can’t miss is Nom beach (in the southwest of the island) and Chuong beach (north of the island). Their beauties are on par with Sao and Khem beaches of the main island and the people here are not as many. In the windy season, you can’t swim at Chuong beach because of the big waves. In the rainy season, you shouldn’t skip Nom beach and go for the other.
- Pineapple Island has a famous spot for diving and snorkeling – Mui Ky Lan (Unicorn Cape). There are some hard species of corals here and the marine life is prosperous as well. You can rent a boat from 500,000VND – 1,200,000VND to visit the surrounding islands. There often is snorkeling activity included in the tours. If you want to rent canoes, expect the cost to be much higher.
- Squid fishing and fishing are also available. You can buy fishing tours from the locals or rent their boats to go fishing on your own. Squid fishing can be more fun if you go with a group and have a grilled squid party on the boat.
In early 2018, Sun World Hon Thom Nature Park is opened as the newest recreation park in Vietnam with the longest cable car system in the world. If you want to enjoy luxury services then this is the place to check out.
- The island is not large and it’s easy for a trek around to discover the primeval forest, the friendliness of the local people and see their daily life without any filter. You can buy seafood from the locals with a cheaper price. The food tastes so much better than seafood in other areas of Vietnam. Around Hon Thom, there are pearl farms and fish farms where you can visit to learn more about what it’s like to live on the water.